1.03.2013

Crock pot loaded potato soup

I had found what looked to be a great recipe for a loaded potato soup on Pinterest the other day and couldn't wait to use my leftover potatoes to make it. My family knows that feedback is always welcome on new recipes (well, on any recipes, really) and, if they don't like it, they are welcome to get a bowl of cereal, toast, make a quesadilla, etc.


I liked the looks of this recipe for many reasons: it's done in the crock pot, there weren't many ingredients, you can 'customize' your soup to your liking, and it was inexpensive. I plopped everything in the crock pot before my friend dropped her boys off and it cooked all day long. Made the house smell yummy! The recipe is as follows:


  • 5 lbs russet potatoes, diced, NOT peeled
  • 5 tablespoons TS garlic garlic (I substituted 2 cloves of minced garlic...and could have gone with 3)
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 64 ounces chicken broth or stock
  • 16 ounces cream cheese
  • bacon, sour cream, chives or shredded cheese for garnish
Combine first 4 ingredients in your crock pot, cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5. Purée soup in food processor with cream cheese. Serve warm topped with bacon, sour cream, shredded cheese & chives.



The outcome was a little less than great though. About half way through the cooking process, I scooped  out a good portion of the onion. As yummy as onions are, it smelled more like onion soup than potato soup and I was pretty sure my children would balk. Once it was done cooking and I went to puree it in the blender (my food processor is down for the count with a cracked bowl), I realized that there was too much liquid. So I wound up leaving a good 1/4 of the broth in the crock pot and, even so, the soup was thin. What seemed to be an advantage in the small number of ingredients wound up being a disadvantage as the soup came out quite bland. We tried dressing it up with some oregano and celery seed after the fact but those flavors hadn't had time to blend in during cooking so they just kind of...floated. You could taste them if you bit into a piece of herb but the flavors didn't infuse the soup.


Given all of that, I do plan to make this again. I will add in 2 carrots and 2 stalks of celery (a good use for those leftover stalks that aren't quite crisp enough for snacks or salads as well as of the leaves) and I will season the soup with oregano as it cooks. Also, I will decrease the amount of broth I use next time around. I halved the recipe last night so I used 32 ounce of broth and I think I will cut that down to 24 ounces. That should help thicken it up a bit.


All in all, it was a good soup - just a little thin and a little bland. But the ease of prep more than made up for that so we'll try it again in the future.




Pau.




- hfs

No comments: