4.20.2013

This week...

"When the world seems loud, we must be quiet. When the world seems evil, we must be good. When the world seems terrifying, we must comfort each other. " ~ Momastery




The Onion put up a post a few days ago about this week - before the manhunt that consumed Boston for the better part of 24 hours on Friday - and it really summed up my reaction to this week:

“Maybe next time we have a week, they can try not to pack it completely to the @#$%^&* brim with explosions, mutilations, death, manhunts, lies, weeping, and the utter uselessness of our political system,” said basically every person in America who isn’t comatose or a complete sociopath. “You know, maybe try to spread some of that total misery across the other 51 weeks in the year. Just a thought.”


So very true. In Hawaii, there was this plant called 'Sleeping Grass'. If you touch it, it responds by withdrawing and closing up. If I had a plant Doppleganger, Sleeping Grass would be mine. I spent the better part of Monday trying to come to terms with the fact that a woman I know online had to say goodbye to her 5 year old son. Gavin was amazing - their whole family is amazing - and I cannot begin to imagine the horrible pain of losing a child. And then Boston...I had friends there. Trying to track them down and make sure they were (literally) all in one piece was exhausting on top of everything else and by the end of Monday, I was ready for the week to be over. But it just kept going: political worthlessness (what's new?), conspiracy theories and tinfoil hats, explosions, more casualties, and so on. 


By Friday, I was done. Stick a fork in me and call me dinner DONE. Thankfully, life conspired to keep me away from both the computer and the television and for that, I was grateful. And now, it is Saturday. The manhunts are over. The Monday-morning quarterbacking (or Saturday, as it were) has begun and I just can't handle it. It's taking what little self-control I have not to rip people to shreds for criticizing how the manhunt in Boston was handled ('martial law'? Really? Shut up.) and looking for conspiracy theories where there aren't any. If people have enough time on their hands to come up with that kind of tripe, they need to get on the horn to their CongressCritter and demand a full - PUBLIC - investigation into Benghazi. But Boston? 

No. Not Boston. 
But rather than pick a fight with crazy people, I retreat like Sleeping Grass and call it a day. It's just too much. Maybe I'm becoming soft in my old age (is 40ish really 'old' these days?). Or maybe the events of the past 12 years have just worn me down to a point where I can no longer tolerate some things without being overwhelmed. I don't know. I saw a tweet on Twitter the other day that about sums it up for me: "
Beginning to think that getting your news a day later on a piece of paper really was the way to go." So true.
So true.





Pau.





- hfs

2 comments:

Pogue said...

Yep.

I quit watching news a couple years ago. I catch up on it later.

Homefront Six said...

I don't watch the news on TV other than to grab the local forecast occasionally. But the internet is as bad - if not worse - as the news. And it was all overwhelming this week. I think I spent more time OFF my computer than ON it which is a novel concept for me.

Good to hear from you, my friend!

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...