3.18.2016

Team Rubicon



Most of the 3 people that still read my blog know of my adoration of Team Rubicon. My friends of Facebook grew tired of my constant posting about TR about 3 years ago (I don't care - use the block feature. If I bother you that much, the 'unfriend' button is just below the cover photo.) and I keep telling TR that they really need to offer a cheerleader outfit in their store because I really need one. I've written several times over the past few years about TR: HEREHERE, and (heartbreakingly) HERE. And then there are the videos. I could watch them over and over and over. I want to give Harry a giant hug. 




From the moment TR came into existence, I have been itching to get involved but life hasn't made that possible until now. Between littles, MacGyver's Army career, logistical constraints...it just hasn't been possible. Besides, I have some first aid training, an EMT course taken long ago, and very little real-world experience to bring to the table - of what use could I be? And I told myself that for so long that I actually started to believe it.

Two years ago, tornadoes swept through Moore, Oklahoma and I was *this* close to joining TR and going. But I didn't have my pre-deployment training done. Then we moved to Korea so I tabled the idea yet again. But now that we're back, it was time to get my head out of my dark, stinky place and get my training done. 

So I did. 

I am now what my daughter calls a "deployable asset". Ha. She has a way with words. 

Not sure how much of an asset I will be but I'll do my best. I signed up for some pre-deployment training that's taking place live and in-person up north in just a few weeks and I'm...incredibly nervous. I know no one. I have no idea what skills I have to offer, if any. But I'm willing and I believe in TR's mission and purpose with all of my heart.

So I'm going. I will get to learn hands-on damage assessment tactics, help out with a service project, and see how TR operates on the ground. To say I can't wait would be an understatement. I'm hoping the butterflies go away soon - they are annoying. 




- hfs




1 comment:

Homefront Six said...

I don't think I did a very good job conveying my feelings for TR. I suck at that part. I see the good they do in the lives of the people they help but also in the lives of the veterans they aim to involve. And, given MacGyver's veteran status, this is obviously near and dear to my heart. MacGyver hasn't had too difficult of a time transitioning to civilian life but we both have friends who have had it pretty rough. We've had some that haven't survived. And the fact that TR actively works to counter that - not through talk or drugs but through ACTION and SERVICE - means more to me than I can put into words.

The ability to be involved with an organization that I hold so dear is going to be like a dream come true.