4.17.2016

Not done yet



I don't make New Year's resolutions, as I've discussed before. But I do make goals and I had three biggies walking in to 2016: 

1. Get involved properly with Team Rubicon (as opposed to just being the annoying cheerleader).
2. Successfully test for my blue belt in jiu-jitsu.
3. Retake the EMT-B course and pass the NREMT exam.


Two weeks ago, I was able to participate in the largest training event in TR history so #1 on my list gets crossed off. Last week, I applied to the local community college in order to register for their EMT-B course in the fall. And Friday, I earned my third stripe on my white belt. This summer I will earn my fourth stripe and test for my blue belt in jiu-jitsu. Looks like I might actually nail all of my goals this year. I don't remember the last time that happened.


I'm not sure what the difference between this year and previous years is but I do feel a difference in my mindset. I feel like I've been holding my breath for SO LONG, waiting for life's kinks to work themselves out and for things to return to 'normal'. And it's not going to. It's taken me almost 7 years to figure this out (I'm a slow learner in some capacities...) and I'm hoping the lesson sticks.


I still have no idea what I want to BE when I grow up but sitting around waiting for life to get its act together isn't doing me any good. And, since I'm not dead yet, it's best to get on with living.



I have a bunch of other stuff on my list of goals for the year, and as I achieve them and cross them off, I add more. Right now the rest of my list looks something like this:

4. Finish up all of the ICS classes that Team Rubicon offers 
5. Attain my ASCA Level 2 swim coaching certification
6. Become sawyer certified with TR
7. Get my Heavy Equipment Operator certification with TR
8. Begin relearning Korean
9. Work my way through the rest of the Audio Essentials training guide
10. Read 150 books by year's end (I'm on book #31 right now)


I'm sure there's more but those are the top 10. I would add to that 'deploy with Team Rubicon' but I don't want to tie one of my goals to someone else's pain in the face of a natural disaster.

Then there are the smaller goals such as declutter the basement, spend more time at the range, clear the brush on a few parts of our land that I want cleared, repaint my bedroom, install shelves in the laundry room, etc. But those are more of a 'to do' list than a list of goals.

And now I'm rambling. Time to go walk the dogs. 




- hfs



4 comments:

Pogue said...

Good for you! It sounds like you're finally coming out the other side. It's good to see.

Homefront Six said...

Sure has taken long enough...

HMS Defiant said...

Wow.

I focus elsewhere for just a moment and almost don't recognize you.

Keep growing. It's good for the soul.

Homefront Six said...

I am not sure I recognize myself these days. That's not necessarily a bad thing.