4.26.2016

Third stripe


"Why do we even try when the barriers are so high and the odds are so low? Why don’t we just pack it in and go home? It’d be so, so much easier. It's because, in the end, there’s no glory in easy. No one remembers easy. They remember the blood and the bones and the long agonizing fight to the top. And that is how you become legendary."

For most people who train through Gracie jiu jitsu, it takes about 6-12 months to earn a blue belt. The blue belt is the first belt above the introductory white belt and is earned when you've mastered the 36 basic and most commonly used techniques (out of 600). Being the red head that I am, I rarely do things the easy way so it has taken me more than 18 months (including 3 moves and 9 months in Korea...in my defense) to get to my 3rd stripe on my white belt. Once I earn my 4th stripe, I will be eligible to test for my blue belt. My goal is to have it by the end of the summer.



Between having to get The Boy to school in the morning and my coaching job in the afternoon/evening, it's been next to impossible to get in to train during the school year. On occasion, MacGyver is able to take The Boy to school and I can go roll but that is sporadic at best. Once summer starts and school is out, I will be able to hit the morning sessions and make good progress toward my blue belt. I'm also hoping to be able to at least make the R&D sessions (reflex and development) in the evenings as well. I need to really work on cementing the moves into my brain and building up the muscle memory so I don't have to think to do them. 

I try not to get frustrated with the snail's pace at which I feel I'm progressing. For me, I want everything to happen RIGHT. NOW. Not 2 years down the road. Patience is not a virtue with which I have been blessed. I blame the red hair. And I try not to compare myself with others I roll with - others who have the privilege of time that I do not - who have progressed much further much faster. My journey is mine and mine alone and comparison sucks the joy out of life, right? 



Right. 




- hfs

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...