7.09.2016

Looking forward to fall


I have some big changes coming up in the next few weeks and I'm still trying to get a grasp on how it's all going to play out. When we moved back here, I was blessed to be offered a job running the front desk at our church. The money was good - it saved us in many ways - and the hours were good. The people I work with are incredible and the situation is flexible, which makes being a homeschooling parent and spouse of a full-time working student SO MUCH easier. Unfortunately, not easy enough. Juggling 25-30 hours of work per week (in that one job. I'm also coaching, doing closed-caption transcription, and holding down two three volunteer positions) with homeschooling one child, running the other to public school, taking kids to and from sports and activities, and trying to maintain the house just wasn't working. I'd been praying for something to give and it seems it finally is.

I go back to school in the fall and the GI Bill provides a housing stipend, which will thankfully make up for my loss of one of my incomes. Additionally, MacGyver has a few options for work that should pay better than he's making at the moment while he hopefully finishes up his flight training and hours this coming semester. So things on the financial front are looking to ease up just a wee bit - enough that I could tender my resignation at my church. 

It breaks my heart to leave. I truly love the people I work with. However, I am looking forward to reconnecting with my family, tackling the 'TO DO' list that has grown exponentially, and being able to give my schooling the proper attention it warrants. I am also looking forward to being able to devote more time to Team Rubicon, starting with our Regional Training that will be coming up soon. I can't wait to get to know my partners in crime just a little bit better! 




The rest of our summer will be filled with some fun stuff - we're going to go do SwimJitsu here shortly and I can't wait! I had seen the video for it about a year ago, and when I found out that one of the local swim clubs was putting it on, we signed up immediately! I think I'm the only adult/parent from our team that is crazy enough to try it. But if an 8 year old can do it, I think I'll be able to as well. 



Once I am done at work, we're going to knock a few things off the Kansas Bucket List - Cosmosphere, The Science Center's 'Body Worlds', Kansas History Museum. There are also a number of trails and state parks I want to go explore but I think I'm going to save those for cooler weather. Several of them are in the western 1/2 of the state, so I'm thinking we may plan a long weekend and go camp/hike/bike and check out several spots all at once. And there are swim meets and Scout activities and a few canoeing/kayaking adventures just waiting for us as well. Mixed in there will hopefully be good times spent with great friends.

With all of the challenges we've been dealing with lately, it's nice to look forward and be able to enjoy the summer!


I leave you with my current musical obsession, Hamilton. If I had a fairy godmother grant me one wish, I might just spend it on asking for tickets to go see this show. Tonight, as it is Lin-Manuel Miranda's last night with the show. 













- hfs

3 comments:

virgil xenophon said...

Just stopped by to catch up. Life w.o. Lex and the rest of the commentariat STILL doesn't seem the same. I see things seem to have improved for you and yours, glad to see.

All the best!

VX

virgil xenophon said...

PS: Have you toured the War Memorial tower in KC yet? It and the Civil War Memorial tower in Market Square in Indianapolis are, imho, the two best "heroic" styled memorials/monuments in the US--what war memorials should look like...not some damn library or multi-media presentation...tho I was presently surprised that the WW II memorial in DC turned out as good as it did, all things considered.. If you ever make it down to New Orleans the Confederate War Museum (2nd largest repository of Civil War memorabilia outside of the one at Richmond--fascinating place) is a must see, located just off Lee Circle (and the 60 ft column with a statue of Gen. Lee which the black city council wants to remove) and opposite the WW II museum started by historian Steven Ambrose who taught at UNO, although he started at LSU. (I had a class in American Hist with him @ LSU in spring of '65, my Jr Yr, fwiw.)

Toodles,

VX

Homefront Six said...

Virgil! It always makes me smile when you come by :) I've missed you, my friend!

I have not yet toured the War Memorial. It's on the list of things to do. I have toured the WWII memorial in DC and was pleasantly surprised like you.

Thanks for the heads' up. And I'm so glad you stopped by. Don't be a stranger!