7.08.2016

Something beautiful



Last week when I was up in Omaha and the bombing happened at the airport in Turkey, a good friend told me to stay blissfully ignorant just a little while longer and away from the news, and that about made me cry. I knew whatever it was that had happened was pretty bad, and the idea that someone would care to protect me from something like that touched me deeply.

I do so wish I could go back to that blissful ignorance today. Last night after wrapping up a conference call, I ditched the computer and the phone and walked the dogs, letting them run in the backyard while I sat in the hammock. It was wonderful and peaceful - the perfect end to an otherwise mellow and pretty relaxing day. Then I came in to fold laundry and flipped open my computer again to watch a movie while I did so, and I caught the news of both the Kansas tornadoes and the Dallas shootings all at once. Hit me like a brick - I have 2 friends that are DPD on top of the whole situation being just utterly heartbreaking - and all I wanted to do was go back to Omaha, sitting in that concourse, watching people, and being blissfully ignorant. It was an incredibly visceral reaction and it was all I could do to maintain my composure at that point (hard to explain to the kids why I’m crying while folding laundry…other than the fact that it’s one of my least favorite chores). 


Most days, I can keep my defenses up and very little of the world gets in. I’m a realist but I tend toward optimism because I already know the ending of the story. But every once in a while, those defenses slip. Like today. Today I am heartbroken. I need someone to show me something beautiful.


UPDATE: And there it is. Life will out. Humanity will always prevail.




- hfs

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...