8.03.2016

Unemployed...




Week 1 of unemployment is almost in the books. It's been wonderful reconnecting with my children. We've gone on hikes, hit the pool, grabbed ice cream together. We have movie dates and museum/attraction visits planned for the coming weeks before schools starts and the fall chaos begins and I'm really looking forward to it. I've missed them. I truly enjoy my children and like spending time with them. I love watching them grow into these amazing people.


In the midst of all of that is the ever-present 'TO DO' list. It looms and I have to keep reminding myself that I have more than the next 3 weeks (before my classes start) to get things done. Plus, it's just too damned hot outside to do much. 96°F with 77% humidity and a heat index of 115°F+? No thank you. So I either go to jiu-jitsu or go hiking in the AM while The Girl is at swim and then work indoors during the day. My two volunteer endeavors - Team Rubicon and a bike-sharing program here in town - keep me busy enough.


And speaking of Team Rubicon, I am beyond excited for next week. We have our Regional Leadership Conference and I get to spend 4 days with some people I adore! Along with laying out plans for the upcoming year in terms of training, membership, engagement, recruitment, Tough Mudder involvement/partnership, I get to go canoeing/rafting and just hang out with them. No chainsaws involved, as far as I know. I. Cannot. Wait.


Then it's back and a week later, school starts for all of us. This will be the first time in our family's history that all 4 of us are students at the same time. I'm curious to see how that will all work out. I don't have all of the logistics figured out and I'm running on faith that it will. Somehow. In the meantime, I am going back through my old EMT texts and refreshing my memory on anatomy, physiology, the legalities of the EMS world, etc. My brain isn't 21 anymore and needs a bit longer to warm up and retain useful information so I figured I'd get a head start. What I'm finding is that I have retained a lot more than I expected. Some areas are rusty - blood flow through the heart, the four quadrants of the abdomen, and a few other things - but most of my A&P knowledge is still there. Hopefully that bodes well.


My pastor, the former civilian flight medic, had some good insight about working as a substitute EMT on overnights and fill-ins once I get my NREMT. That opened up a whole world in my brain - I hadn't really envisioned where I was going to GO with this certification once I have it. I just figured I would use it with Team Rubicon, maybe with the Boy Scouts, and that was about it. I hadn't really given thought to actually WORKING as an EMT. And then two things happened: my pastor mentioned the sub work (necessary at this point in my life, versus full-time work) and I found a local option for paramedic school. It's a hybrid program between a local junior college and one that's about 2 hours away. at first glance, it looks like it could work. The application period is closed right now but I'll be able to apply at the end of the summer next year for the JAN2018 class. That will give me time to get my NREMT certification and rack up some hours working as an EMT.


It's kind of scary weird to finally figure out what you want to BE when you grow up...But before I get all panic-attacky, I'll just go back to being excited to hang with my TR peeps in a week!




- hfs

No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...