12.23.2016

Looking back




I'm tying up some loose ends as 2016 winds down and it's neat to see how big of a year it has actually been.

JAN:
- First Day hike with swim team friends. What better way to kick off the new year than with a hike in freezing temps with great friends after ringing in the new year with some of the same? We even spotted some bald eagles!

FEB:
- Began coaching the girls' high school swim team. It felt SO good to get back on deck and back to one of the things I truly love.

MAR:
- MOBEX Trigger. The TR fun begins! I discovered so many things about myself that I didn't know, and met so many amazing people that would turn out to be pieces of me I didn't know I was missing.
- Easter. One of my favorite days - signifying so much.

MAY:
- JJ Grey and MOFRO concert. One of my favorite bands and I was able to see them play live. Amazing. Can't wait to do it again.
- Dancing in the rain - literally.

JUN:
- Started working for TR as the state membership manager. When I went to Trigger, I never envisioned myself working for TR as anything other than a regular volunteer and was blown away by the offer to join the leadership team.
- Olympic Swimming Trials. I'm still floating on cloud 9 from that one!

JUL:
- Operation Found It in Eureka, KS. My very first true TR operation. Life-changing and so incredibly reaffirming that what I'm doing (EMT, TR, etc.) is the right thing. Passion, purpose, serving others...all right there. I'm hooked.

AUG:
- Regional Training Conference. My first opportunity to get to know the full leadership team. Lots of work. Lots of fun. Life-long friendships started ('FRAMILY') and solidified.
- EMT class begins. More confirmation I'm on the right path. Felt like coming home.
- Mulvane operation. My first operation working behind the scenes. Amazing to watch this leadership team in action.
- Both kids in public school again after 7 years. Took some time to adjust to that. Still working on it.

SEP:
- Stepped into the role of State Admin. Just...wow.
- Veterans Community Project work day. My introduction to this amazing group and the incredible people behind it. Another life-changing experience.

OCT:
- National Conference. Like the Regional Conference back in August, but on crack. So incredibly cool to put names to faces of people I've admired for YEARS. More framily.
- CERT class, state VOAD involvement
- Ride along #1 for my EMT class. I was nervous until I set foot on that rig. Then I knew I was home.

NOV:
- Chainsaw training. Sawyer 1 certification was on my 'to do' list and I 'to DID' it. Now I work on building my skills and my strength.
- Regional Planning Conference. Laid out the training calendar and plans for 2017 and OH, am I excited. 2017 is going to rock 2016's socks off. Lots of changes coming for our leadership team but change equals growth so let's do this! Can't think of better people with whom to take on this challenge.
- Thanksgiving. Incredible time with family and friends. The opportunity to catch my breath and surround myself with these people I love was amazing.

DEC:
- Another Veterans Community Project work day. More time with this amazing organization only this time I was able to sling a chainsaw!
- Wrapping up EMT-B class with straight As. I'm going to miss these people!
- Christmas. A little tough to get in to the holiday spirit this year but we are all healthy, the roof is still over our head, there was food on the table. Everything else is gravy and no one was shooting at me ;) Along with what Christmas signifies, all wonderful reasons to celebrate.

All of this is intermixed with swim meets, birthdays, Scouts, MacGyver's flight school achievements, panic attacks (hey...it's the good, the bad, and the ugly...), stumbling across letters from my dad, some brutal losses, reading some amazing books, meeting some incredible people through my involvement with the Emergency Management world, hiking like a maniac and getting to the point I can pass the Wildland Firefighter 1 pack test, passing my EMT practical and getting ready to pass my EMT written. (Hopefully), I'll start 2017 by becoming a nationally registered EMT!

And as I look back, I am overwhelmed with one realization:
I.
Am.
Blessed.

So very blessed.

I say, "Bring it!"


No comments:

This Lousy World

I'm currently reading Brené Brown's new book, "Braving the Wilderness" and have come to the conclusion that she is my...