2.23.2017

It's been a while...

Didn't realize it had been so long since I last posted. I don't have an excuse other than the fact that life has been full, but nothing remarkable.

I started the Advanced EMT course at the beginning of the year and it's just further reinforcing that I am on the right path. I'm thoroughly enjoying the class and everything I'm learning, to include IV sticks. We had our first day of live IV sticks this past week and I am 2/2!



So I have 2 successful sticks and only 28 more to go! I'm still not sure how I'm going to fit 240 hours of rig time and 80 hours of clinical time in my life between now and the end of July but it will happen. Sleep is over-rated, right? 

Team Rubicon is plugging along. It's been relatively quiet since before the holidays. We had a great chainsaw class that I had the privilege to the site coordinator. In addition to that, I was able to help coach when the students headed out to pt their new-found knowledge to use. It was fantastic to be back in something that resembles a teaching role. On my 'bucket list' for TR is to become instructor certified in *something* (and eventually multiple somethings) but right now, none of the opportunities line up with my schedule or qualifications. But that's ok - it will happen when it's supposed to happen.

Family life is going well too. The Girl is wrapping up championship short course swim season. She qualified for the championship meet which surprised all of us. She's slowly coming to the realization that she might be a distance swimmer. Poor kid. The Boy wrapped up basketball season and is looking to do track to tide him over until baseball season starts. Then he wants to swim this summer. Seven sports this year plus weight training. The kid is nuts! MacGyver is *this* close to being done with his courses and flight hours and should be picking up a job soon.

MacGyver and I don't normally do Valentine's Day but I came home to find a gift...or two...waiting for me. It's like he loves me or something.



They need some work but they run and they are Stihls. I can't wait to get out and use them - the north access road to our property has some downed trees and a lot of honeysuckle growth that needs trimmed back. So I'll put the 180 to use, hopefully this weekend!

That's really about all I have. Waiting patiently for storm season to come upon us. I cannot wait for winter to be over. I've been able to hit the trails and hike a few times but nowhere near as often as I'd like. Soon, though. Soon.

But now it's time for bed. Goodnight!


2 comments:

Pogue said...

Back in 2004 when I was getting ready for my SECFOR deployment the unit had Combat Lifesaver training, which at the time included starting IVs. For some reason the powers that be arranged to have the training in a conference room at the Western Area Aviation Training Site. So here's 40 gun bunnies armed with needles learning how to stick each other. Since I'm blessed (cursed?) with large, stationary veins I became the training aid for people who were having trouble with the process. One guy was so happy to finally get a vein that he forgot to remove the constriction band before attaching the bag of saline causing about a three food arc of blood which fortunately didn't hit anyone. He had this "That's not right..." look on his face, while the guy opposite me nearly fainted. By the time we finished the conference room smelled like a slaughter house. I'm guessing they didn't schedule any more CLS classes there. Good times...

Homefront Six said...

Oh that's entirely too funny! Who thought it would be a good idea to do that in a conference room??